Thursday, February 9, 2012

Doggy Conveniences

Back in 2006 I decided that it was quite a hassle to put the leash on Saphira every time she needed/ wanted to go outside.  So, since I finally had a fenced yard and I'm a handy person... I decided to install a doggy door.  The challenge was that I needed a ramp for the door so that it would work.  Using my engineering experience I began to draw up plans for the doggy ramp.  Once I had built it I had my doubts that Saphira would even use it.  Silly me.  Put enough treats around and she'll do anything!  Here's the ramp I built and the doggy door.  I even put some artificial grass on it to make it easier to use.
At first Saphira thought it was a new place to hide under when she was outside.  Luckily, she eventually got the idea.  Before I knew it she was racing in and out and announcing to everyone just how great it was.  

 Here she is in March of 2008 enjoying the yard and the coming of Spring.  Saphira likes to carry this turquoise ball around while she's chasing the soccer ball.  Oh yes, she loves her soccer ball, but it's even better when she has something else to use too.


Nowadays she'll even pick up a stick and use that too.  Perhaps she thinks she's playing field hockey? 








Saphira loves the sunshine and will just sit out in the yard and bask in it.  Of course, sometimes she'll just sit there and bark at the wind, but for the most part she's usually pretty content just to be outside.      
I love this picture I took as I sat in the grass with her.  This was pre-Sasha days and we enjoyed the quiet of the yard often.  Little did I know how much more work a second corgi could be!  Though I love Sasha a ton I remember fondly the days of one dog and how much easier it was to go places!




No comments: